Monday 30 April 2012

Raw Veggie Crackers with Garlic and Italian Herbs

I have been really wanting to make a raw bread or raw cracker lately. I spend so much time searching for recipes, that I run out of time to actually make the recipe!

Then, I got inspired.

This recipe is great because it can be moulded and change to suit the tastes of the person making it. My favourite type of recipe!
I also loved how quick and easy this recipe came together. I sort of just threw what I wanted into the processor and mixed until I got my desired consistency!


Ready Time:
Approximately 1-2 days, depending on whether your soak and dehydrate your almonds first.

Actual Prep Time:
About 10 minutes!

Ingredients
1 garlic glove
1/2 cup raw almonds (soaked overnight and dehydrated first- optional.)
1/4 cup golden flax seeds (ground in a coffee grinder)
1 heaping tbsp hemp hearts
1 heaping tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
3/4-1 cup grated carrot or carrot pulp
1/2-3/4 cup grated zucchini
1 heaping tbsp italian herbs
1 tbsp onion powder
salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
1-3 tbsp clean water (only if needed)

Directions
1. With food processor running, drop in the garlic clove. It will mince and splatter against the walls.
2. Add the almonds. Process until you get a fine crumbly powder.
3. Add the ground flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp hearts and sesame seeds. Pulse to incorporate.
4. Add the italian herbs and onion powder. Add more italian herbs if you really like the taste, and if you find that your garlic is very strong. Add salt and pepper, if using.
5. Add grated veggies. I am sure red pepper, celery and even spinach could be used also!
6. Process until thoroughly mixed. You may have to stop a few times and scrape down the sides of the processor. If you think the mixture is too thick, try adding water to thin it out a little bit. (Only use about 1 tbsp at a time! I didn't need to use any- my carrots and zucchini were moist enough themselves.)
7. Dump the mixture onto a non-stick baking mat, dehydrator sheet, or parchment paper. Spread over with the back of a spoon, not quite 1/2 inch thick. Clean up the edges and score with a butter knife.
* I was able to fill one entire 11" sheet with this- which made about 20 crackers. Double or triple the recipe as desired.
8. Dehydrate at 145 degrees for one hour, then dehydrate at 115 for 4-6 more hours, depending on how crispy you want it. Flip about halfway through. Store in a sealed bag in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment